Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ruminations Past Midnight; My Ideal Driving Experience

Woot, just got back from supper with the M1s. Drove back from NUS with Som; two identical looking Camry's abiding by the speed limits in the wee hours of morning is queer man haha... I would think one would sooner see two Evos tearing down the roads is a more expected sight.

Anyway it got me thinking, what would be my ideal driving experience? We all wow at Supercars, from the BMW M3 to the Koenisegg CCX, but is it really worthwhile to own and drive such a car in Singapore? Chances are you’d be caught in traffic and forced to crawl at a snail's pace. Ain't no fun in that... How about fast speeds; the thrill of gunning your engine to 5000rpm and racing down the freeway? If you really cared about cars, you'd know gunning it screws the engine; cruising at top speeds along the PIE is nothing fantastic either.



Nope, after my driving stint in Hokkaido (with a bulky Toyota Picnic), I've decided the ideal driving experience lies not so much in a Supercar, although I still dream of a Gallardo or the more affordable Lancer Evo, but in a picturesque surrounding with good company around you.

Singapore highways just don't hack it when it comes to looks; sure the many trees are easy on the eye, but there’s no 'wow' factor to it. Try and beat this image from Japan!


Now I've decided to work hard, get a decent sum of money beneath me, and when I'm 40+, go on a road trip around Europe. Rent a sweet car, and just cruise through the country roads with my wife/girlfriend beside me. But for now, seeing I have no money, I guess I'll just have to resort to my paddle boat and leg power to get me around scenic sights.

2 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi Ah-peh what do you mean u no money? As i told u many many times before ... sell JJ to me ;P Then u confirm got money already lor... I mean think about it =P You can always visit JJ anytime! And i mean anytime, cos he'll be nice and stuffed ... so even if you wanna visit him 30 years from now no problem! =p

Then again you probably wont be getting much money from the sale... cos I'm pretty much broke too ;P So tell u what... U gif me JJ and I gif u an I.O.U. I get a stuffed doggy and u get the promise of cash in the distant future. Whole world happy. No?

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah lau Sam! I'm not that strapped for cash that I'll sell my beloved dog to some perverse taxidermist! THINK AGAIN!!! Hehe...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home